Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Proudly Serving Colorado and the American Queen Pageant System







I am so very excited to announce that I will be serving as 2010's Mrs. Colorado American Queen. Here is a little information about how I came to this position, and what will be coming in the next few months ...
Several years ago, I was able to meet Connie Wallace, a woman I continue to respect and consider a mentor. Connie and her daughters had competed in numerous pageants, and felt like they were called to start a better system, one where contestants were truly treated as equals, and encouraged to have a good time. They started the American Queen system, and created a nonprofit organization for which titleholders would be spokespersons (DASH - Domestic Abuse Stops Here).
I was terribly impressed with this pageant and volunteered to help bring a state competition to Colorado. With her husband's health needing attention, and career changes in her future, Connie made the executive decision to hold off on a Colorado pageant. That very summer, announcements were made that Connie would be handing the pageant over to Sunjia Burks.
Within the last year, I have returned to pageantry, and also began promoting and establishing my own nonprofit, M.R.S. (Mothers Returning to School). So, I contacted Sunjia about stepping down as a volunteer, and applying for the title of Mrs. Colorado AQ. She obliged, and I was notified that my application had been accepted - and I was being appointed this title. How exciting!
The year ahead includes lots of community service projects, speaking engagements, and M.R.S. events. Additionally, I will be competing this summer at the national American Queen pageant, to be held in Florida.
Hold on, friends, it's going to be a fun year! :)
Jennifer Nackerud

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Jennifer! I look forward to following your year. Good luck at nationals this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer,
    You truly exemplify the title "American Queen"! As the founder and former national director of the organization, I can't tell you how proud I am that YOU are wearing this crown. You will make a world of difference - so proud to be able to call you MRS. COLORADO AMERICAN QUEEN! Best of luck in all of your endeavors

    ReplyDelete