Saturday, June 5, 2010

Celebrating Life

This morning, I had the privilege of gathering with several hundred fellow-believers as we walked for something each of us supports: life. Though I make no apologies for my stance on abortion and the depravity I believe it reflects, I am acutely aware of the pain, anger, resentment, and passion the issue of unwanted pregnancy brings to those on both sides of the picket line. It seems irrational at times to presume strong pronouncements of the Truth I understand will somehow change hearts and minds. A better pronouncement, perhaps, is one of encouragement and acceptance. A message Alternatives certainly understands.


Even as we walked the mile and a half, my heart ached at the statistics Alternatives Pregnancy Center provided: by the age of 45, one in three women in America will have had an abortion. With every stranger we passed along the Platter River, I couldn't help but wonder, "Is it you?" How my soul cried out to the Savior that their emotions be guarded, lest they believe this was some sort of march against them and their decisions. I serve a mighty God, who within His strength and sovereignty makes time to weep for the loss of innocent lives at the hands of abortionists. But, make no mistake – He weeps also for the women who find themselves at unimaginable crossroads, engulfed in a society which denies them the strength they might have found within themselves. Rest assured - He holds them to no different standards than He does the rest of us bearing the burden of a fallen world.


What do we have if we cannot offer a message of hope, of comfort, and of the type of love only the followers of a Savior can claim? May I never persecute those who are waiting for me to take them in with open arms in the name of my Messiah. Forgive me when my soul strays, Father, to a place where I believe I am better than someone for the grace I have received. Remind me constantly that grace represents nothing more than what I am not.


Pray for our nation. Pray for our leaders. Pray for innocence. Pray for those who are hurting … on every side of the picket line.







A look at those lining up for life.









1 comment:

  1. very well written and cool that you walked! I have some other friends walking today as well!

    ReplyDelete